Gender Issues in Computer Science Research, Education, and SocietySpeaker: Letizia Jaccheri – Trondheim, Norway
Topic(s): Society and the Computing Profession
This lecture addresses gender issues in CS from Research, Education, Society perspectives.
I start from UN Goal 5, Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls to contextualize the topic in an open and meaningful context. I present research issues, some from my own projects (see 1,2,3), others from examples of biased technology, like smartphone voice assistants and data sets for job recruiting based on male population.
Then, I present statistics about female presence in education, research and industry. Further, the presentation goes in depth and presents two specific projects we run at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology for increasing gender balance among students and among professors.
These are ADA (URL https://www.ntnu.edu/girls/about-ada) and IDUN (URL https://www.ntnu.edu/idun).
The presentation concludes with a list of International projects and resource.
References and Resources
1) J Brevik, L Jaccheri, JCT Vidal, Designing Software to Prevent Child Marriage Globally,Proceedings of the 18th ACM International Conference on Interaction Design and Children, 2019
2) J Carver, L. Jaccheri, S. Morasca, F. Shull, A checklist for integrating student empirical studies with research and teaching goals, Empirical Software Engineering, 2010
3) Rubegni, E., Landoni, M., De Angeli, A., & Jaccheri, M. L. Detecting Gender Stereotypes in Children Digital StoryTelling 2019 ACM IDC 2019
4) Women in Digital. Digital Single Market Policy. https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/en/women-ict
5) EU Report of the Expert Group “Innovation through Gender” https://op.europa.eu/en/publication-detail/-/publication/d15a85d6-cd2d-4fbc-b998-42e53a73a449
6) SHE Figures https://ec.europa.eu/info/publications/she-figures-2018_en
7) ELSEVIER The researcher journey … https://www.elsevier.com/research-intelligence/resource-library/gender-report-2020
8) Informatics Europe Report on Informatics Education in Europe https://www.informatics-europe.org/publications.html
9) Informatics Europe WIRE https://www.informatics-europe.org/working-groups/women-in-icst-research-and-education.html
10) ACM Women in Computing Europe. https://europe.acm.org/acm-we
About this LectureNumber of Slides: 37
Duration: 45 - 90 minutes
Languages Available: English, Italian, Norwegian
Request this Lecture
To request this particular lecture, please complete this online form.
Request a Tour
To request a tour with this speaker, please complete this online form.
All requests will be sent to ACM headquarters for review.