Dr. Philip Pong received his bachelor degree in Electrical and Electronic Engineering from the University of Hong Kong with first class honors in 2002. He then studied for a PhD degree in electrical engineering at the University of Cambridge, and he graduated in 2005. From 2005 to 2008, he worked as a postdoctoral researchers at the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) in the United States. In 2008, he started his academic career in the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering at the University of Hong Kong where he is now a tenured associate professor.
His research interest focuses on developing ultrasensitive magnetic field sensors, advanced sensing applications in smart living and computational intelligence algorithms for senor data analytics. His research projects were granted with both government and industrial funding to work on developing sensing platform and signal processing algorithms for realizing smart health, smart grid, smart home, and smart transportation. His research group is the technology leader and innovator in applying computational intelligence, magnetic sensors and sensor data analytics in Internet-of-Things and smart living.
He has published around 300 technical publications including over 120 SCI journal papers with around 1600 citations. He published one book chapter on Clean Energy and Environment. He has three patents under filing.
He has given over 50 invited talks worldwide including 5 plenary lectures and 6 keynote speeches. He is also an excellent teacher recognized with Faculty Outstanding Teaching (Individual) Award and also Faculty Outstanding Teaching (Team) Award.
• Ph.D. (University of Cambridge)
• Fellow, The Institution of Engineering and Technology (FIET) (elected in Aug 2018)
• Fellow, The Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining (FIMMM)
• Fellow, The NANOSMAT Society (FNS)
• Senior Member, IEEE
• Chartered Engineer (CEng)
• Chartered Energy Engineer
• Chartered Physicist (CPhys)
• Registered Professional Engineer (Electrical, Electronics, Energy)
• Corporate Member of Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (HKIE) (Electrical, Electronics, Energy) (MHKIE)
• Young Engineer of the Year 2016 (awarded by HKIE)
• Over 120 SCI journal publications, ~200 conference publications, ~1600 citations
• Over 50 invited talks worldwide including 5 plenary speeches and 6 keynote speeches
To request a single lecture/event, click on the desired lecture and complete the Request Lecture Form.