Swagatam Das earned his B.E. in Telecommunications Engineering, M.E. in Telecommunications Engineering with a specialization in Control Engineering, and Ph.D. in Engineering from Jadavpur University, India, in 2003, 2005, and 2009, respectively. Dr. Das is a Professor and has held the position of Head of the Electronics and Communication Sciences Unit at the Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata, India, from 2021 to 2023. Currently he serves as a Professor and Deputy Director of the Institute for Advancing Intelligence (IAI), TCG CREST, Kolkata, India. His broad research interests revolve around evolutionary computing and machine learning.
Dr. Das has published over 400 research articles published in peer-reviewed journals and international conferences. He holds the distinction of being the founding co-editor-in-chief of Swarm and Evolutionary Computation, an international journal under Elsevier. Furthermore, he has served or is currently serving as an associate editor for publications like IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics, IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, Pattern Recognition (Elsevier), Neurocomputing (Elsevier), Information Sciences (Elsevier), IEEE Trans. on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics: Systems, among others. He also contributes as an editorial board member for journals such as Information Fusion (Elsevier), Progress in Artificial Intelligence (Springer), Applied Soft Computing (Elsevier), Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence (Elsevier), and so on.
Dr. Das holds a Google Scholar citation count exceeding 30,000 and possesses an H-index of 81 till date. He actively participates in international program committees and organizing committees for esteemed conferences, including NeurIPS, AAAI, AISTATS, ACM Multimedia, BMVC, IEEE CEC, GECCO, and more. Dr. Das has also taken on the role of guest editor for special issues in journals like IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation and IEEE Transactions on SMC, Part C. His contributions have been recognized through awards, including the 2012 Young Engineer Award from the Indian National Academy of Engineering (INAE) and the 2015 Thomson Reuters Research Excellence India Citation Award, recognizing him as the highest-cited researcher from India in the Engineering and Computer Science category between 2010 and 2014.
To request a single lecture/event, click on the desired lecture and complete the Request Lecture Form.
Do your data behave gently to your Machine Learning algorithms? What if not?
Many machine learning systems rely on implicit assumptions regarding the regularity of data. For instance, several classifiers assume that all classes have an equal number of...
- Evaluating the Bio-Inspired Optimization Algorithms: Modern Performance Indicators and (Non-parametric) Statistical Testing FrameworkA multitude of bio-inspired optimization algorithms continuously emerge to address the immense complexities inherent in non-convex, multi-modal, and multi-dimensional optimization problems, which...
- Generative Adversarial Networks - one of the most happening developments in Machine Learning through the lens of StatisticsGenerative Adversarial Networks (GANs) represent one of the most significant breakthroughs in deep learning over the past decade. These models consist of two neural networks engaged in a...
- Large Language Models and ChatGPT: Statistical and Ethical PerspectivesLarge Language Models (LLMs) like ChatGPT have garnered significant attention for their impressive capabilities in natural language understanding and generation. This talk delves into the...
- Some Perspectives on Deep Semantic Segmentation of Images with Application to Computer-aided Medical DiagnosticsSemantic segmentation can be conceptualized as a form of pixel-level image classification. The domain has witnessed significant growth, particularly with the advent of deep convolutional...
To request a tour with this speaker, please complete this online form.
If you are not requesting a tour, click on the desired lecture and complete the Request this Lecture form.
All requests will be sent to ACM headquarters for review.
- Evaluating the Bio-Inspired Optimization Algorithms: Modern Performance Indicators and (Non-parametric) Statistical Testing Framework