Computational Theory, Algorithms and Mathematics
Available Speakers on this Topic
Dorian C Arnold – Orange County, CA, United States
A Non-checkpoint/restart, Non-algorithm-specific Approach to Fault-tolerance
Hierarchical or tree-based overlay networks (TBONs) are often used to execute data aggregation operations in a scalable, piecewise fashion. We present state compensation, a scalable failure...
Ricardo Baeza-Yates – Palo Alto, CA, United States
This presentation is a tour of different paradigms to design algorithms using one of the most classical algorithmic problems: searching. Starting from sequential search and adding either resources...
Tassos Dimitriou – Athens, Greece
Tools of the Trade: Enhancing Privacy in Participatory Sensing
The increasing availability of sensors in today's smartphones and other everyday devices, carried around by millions of people, has opened up the possibility of new ways of information...
User Experience Design for Internet of Things
Internet of Things is recently mentioned as one of the disruptive technologies to change our daily life. For the economical development in regional areas, how IoTs can be...
Chuck Easttom – Plano, TX, United States
Applying Graph Theory to Digital Forensics
Graph theory is an area of discrete mathematics that is used to model the relationships between entities. Previously, graph theory has been used to model network traffic, biological systems, and...
This is an overview of cryptographic backdoors, their function and purpose. Specific research is discussed including examples such as Dual_EC_DRBG and backdoors in RSA. This is appropriate for...
Exploring nonlinear dynamics and emergence
This talk first provides an overview of nonlinear dynamics and emergences, as well as their relationship to computing. Then methods for mathematically modeling both nonlinear dynamics and...
This lecture begins with an overview of steganography, including the history of steganography techniques. Basic current methods (LSB and DCT) are discussed. The lecture then describes more...
Dan Garcia – Millbrae, CA, United States
The Beauty and Joy of Binary Numbers
(This is meant for the general public, especially young children)In this interactive demonstration, we explain binary numbers, the foundation of electrical engineering and...
Deduplication-aware Architecture and System for Edge Computing
Edge computing requires cost-efficient storage infrastructure to deliver high performance. Deduplication-based schemes are able to meet these needs due to salient features of space and bandwidth...
Dharm Singh Jat – Windhoek, AR, Namibia
Evaluation of Video Quality of Service in Wireless Networks
Computer simulation is the research tool of choice for a majority of the wired and wireless network research community and these days most of research works on the network adopt computer...
Futuristic Wireless Networks for Multimedia Applications
Nowadays the IP video traffic over the wireless network is continuously growing due the advances in wireless network technologies and smart mobile communication devices. It is estimated that...
Benjamin Kenwright – Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Memory management: Fast Efficient Fixed-Sized Memory Pools
This lecture discusses the importance of memory in the context of performance. We examine and present a ready-to-use, robust, and computationally fast fixed-size memory pool manager...
- High Performance Graphics with VulkanThis lecture introducing the listener to the Vulkan cross platform 3D graphics API - including examples and discussion on the practical aspects. The lecture address questions, such...
Samee U Khan – Fargo, ND, United States
Universal Design in Learning
It is a well-known fact that the human learning experience is not universal. Consequently, when developing instructional materials, we must be cognizant of techniques and procedures that...
Ashish Kundu – San Jose, CA, United States
Assurance of Trust: Blockchain and AI -- Necessary and Sufficient?
With the pervasive use of technology today across all aspects of our society and government, the information trust landscape is changing alongwith the threat landscape. With the advanced threats,...
Energy Attacks on Mobile and IoT Devices
All mobile devices are energy-constrained. They use batteries thatallows using the device for a limited amount of time. In general, energy attacks on mobile devices are denial of...
- Security and Compliance Issues in Blockchain
Blockchain is a paradigm shift in computing -- it enables computing among distributed untrusted peers without the need for any centralized trusted authority. Transaction...
Hai Li – Durham, NC, United States
Neuromorphic Computing and Deep Learning - Technology, Hardware and Implementation
As big data processing becomes pervasive and ubiquitous in our lives, the desire for embedded-everywhere and human-centric information systems calls for an "intelligent" computing...
Jeanna N Matthews – Potsdam, NY, United States
Algorithmic Accountability and Transparency and Other Alternatives to Digital Destiny
Big-data trained algorithms are increasingly used to make big decisions about people's lives, such as who gets loans, whose...
Ramasuri Narayanam – Bangalore, India
Collaborative Decision Making in Complex Adaptive Systems
Collaborative decision making in complex adaptive systems refers to an analytic viewpoint that looks beyond an individual’s cognition to include strategic interactions of individuals...
- Social Network Analysis: Introduction, Key Problems, ApplicationsThis lecture provides introduction to social network science and then proceeds to highlight key representative problems in this area. Finally, it presents several applications of social...
- Strategic and Computational Aspects of Social Network ScienceThis lecture provides the conceptual underpinnings of the use of game theoretic models as well as online multi-agent learning models in social network analysis and brings out how...
Mohammad Sohel Rahman – Dhaka, Bangladesh
String Inference and (non)Lexicographic Ordering
In this lecture we will discuss two interesting but possibly less studied topics from string combinatorics. We will divide the talk into two parts. In the first part, we will briefly present...
Shrisha Rao – Bangalore, India
Resource Management in Cloud Computing
Cloud computing is an increasingly popular paradigm of offering services over the Internet; it is also an active area of research. One key area that calls for innovative approaches, is...
- Sustainability in IT SystemsWhile we all appreciate the ways in which information technology (IT) has revolutionized society, it is becoming increasingly obvious that the full benefits of IT will be available to us...
Sherif Sakr – Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Big Data Science as a Service
Recently, big data science has emerged as a modern and important data analysis discipline. It is considered as an amalgamation of classical disciplines such as statistics, artificial intelligence...
Data Analytics for Healthcare Services
The last decade has seen huge advances in the scale of data we routinely generate and collect in pretty much everything we do, as well as our ability to use technology to analyze and understand...
Theo Schlossnagle – Fulton, MD, United States
Adaptive Availability for Quality of Service
In this presentation, I'll talk about lessons learned in building a always-on distributed time-series database with aggressive quality of service guarantees. As any distributed systems...
- Monitoring: The Math Behind Bad BehaviorAs we monitor more and more system we can quickly become overwhelmed with data. Large systems today can generate millions of measurements per second across millions of separate points of...
- Production Debugging TechniquesDebugging applications in a development environment is one of the first skills software engineers every learn. However, the real bugs happen in production under circumstances that are...
Seth Shostak – Mountain View, CA, United States
The Big News of the 21st Century
The 21st century promises to be an inflection point in the history of Homo sapiens. While one might expect a continuing improvement in technology, a greater degree of...
- When Will We Find Extraterrestrial Life?Are we alone in the universe? The scientific hunt for extraterrestrial intelligence is now into its fifth decade, and we still haven’t discovered any cosmic company. Could...
David G. Stork – Sunnyvale, CA, United States
Computational imaging: Using computing for optics and optics for computing
The discipline of computational imaging involves the design of both the optics and the digital signal processing to achieve a desired digital output. The electro-optical system is hence best...
Jean Vanderdonckt – Louvain-La-Neuve, Belgium
Distributed User Interfaces.
Distributed User Interfaces (DUIs) are user interfaces whose elements are distributed in time and space in order to support one or many users to carry out one or many tasks on one or many domains...
Arun Vishwanath – Melbourne, VIC, Australia
Modelling Energy Consumption in High-Capacity Routers and Switches
Internet equipment such as routers and switches are major contributors to the energy consumption of modern networks. Many energy efficiency metrics for these high-capacity devices are...
- Net Neutrality and Internet Fast LanesNet neutrality and Internet fast lanes have been the subject of raging debates — in the he US and around the world — for several years now. Various view points have been put...
- Towards an Energy Efficient Internet Core with Near-Zero BuffersReducing the power consumption of core Internet routers is important for both Internet Service Providers (ISPs) and router vendors. ISPs can reduce their Carbon footprint and operational...
Demetrios Zeinalipour-Yazti – Nicosia, Cyprus
Distributed All k Nearest Neighbor Queries
A wide spectrum of Internet-scale mobile applications, ranging from social networking, gaming and entertainment...
- Net Neutrality and Internet Fast Lanes
- When Will We Find Extraterrestrial Life?
- Monitoring: The Math Behind Bad Behavior
- Sustainability in IT Systems
- Social Network Analysis: Introduction, Key Problems, Applications
- Security and Compliance Issues in Blockchain
- Assurance of Trust: Blockchain and AI -- Necessary and Sufficient?
- High Performance Graphics with Vulkan
- Deduplication-aware Architecture and System for Edge Computing
- User Experience Design for Internet of Things