Information Systems, Search, Information Retrieval, Database Systems, Data Mining, Data Science
Available Speakers on this Topic
Sören Auer – Leipzig, Germany
Digitalization of Scholarly Communication - Towards a Knowledge Graph for Science
Despite an improved digital access to scientific publications in the last decades, the fundamental principles of scholarly communication remain unchanged and continue to be largely...
- Mastering Digitalization - Towards the Data-driven EnterpriseMastering the digitalization challenge requires enterprises to radically innovate. Data, information and knowledge become increasingly important assets for realizing innovative digital...
- Tackling the Variety Dimension of Big Data - From Linked to Cognitive DataIn recent years, we have seen an increasing attention to data. Some initiatives in this regard are open, big or smart data. The availability of large-scale datasets has unleashed an...
Ricardo Baeza-Yates – Palo Alto, CA, United States
This tutorial covers all the main concepts behind search: relevance, retrieval models, quality evaluation, indexing and ranking. At the same time, we explain all the elements of the architecture...
Web Data Mining
The Web continues to grow and evolve very fast, changing our daily lives. This activity represents the collaborative work of the millions of institutions and people that contribute content to the...
Dipankar Dasgupta – Memphis, TN, United States
Adaptive Multi-Factor Authentication (A-MFA) Methodology
Multi-factor Authentication (MFA) is the current trend to genuinely identify authorized users (in multiple ways) through an authentication process via passwords, security tokens, biometrics,...
Cloud Services: Security, Compliance and an Insurance model
As cloud services move to the mainstream to meet major computing needs, the issues of ownership and chain of custody of customer data are becoming primary responsibilities of providers. The...
Gargi Banerjee Dasgupta – Bangalore, India
Cognitive Technology Support
Scientists are working on using cognitive technologies for creating an improved technical support experience. Technical support is a hard task and companies offering support often face...
- Detect Needle in a Haystack: Advanced Anomaly Detection mechanisms from execution logsTroubleshooting complex systems in IT data centers is a very complex problem. We focus on the problem of detecting anomalous run-time behavior of distributed applications from their...
Dipankar Dasgupta – Memphis, TN, United States
Where the Immunological Computation Research is heading?
The biological immune system exhibits some remarkable properties, including distributed processing, pathogenic pattern recognition, decentralized control, adaptability, diversity,...
Gianluca Demartini – Queensland, Australia
Knowledge Graphs for Entity-centric Information Access
Knowledge Graphs (KGs) contain structured information about entities such as persons, locations, and organizations. Modern web search engines leverage such KGs to power entity-oriented...
- The Power of Big DataMore and more data is being generated around us by every activity in our daily life. Such large amounts of data are changing the way in which we do things and are used by companies and...
Marcus Foth – Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Smart Cities beyond Fad and Hype: Connecting People, Place and Technology
Ubiquitous computing, mobile devices, and big data come together to give rise to a new urban paradigm being celebrated by many technology corporations and local governments alike: the smart...
João Portela Gama – Porto, Portugal
Real-Time Data Mining
Nowadays, there are applications in which the data are modelled best not as persistent tables, but rather as transient data streams. In this keynote, we discuss the limitations of current...
Michael Gschwind – Yorktown Heights, NY, United States
The Evolution of Artificial Intelligence
As computing systems transform to become more responsive to human needs, cognitive computing systems are posed to revolutionize computing. Artificial Neural...
Laura M Haas – San Jose, CA, United States
Accelerating Data Discovery for Better Health
The volumes of healthcare data are sky-rocketing, and new sources and types of patient, biology, medical and contextual information are proliferating; we can now get more data on patients and...
Accelerating the Discovery of Insights from Data
Today, businesses and scientists alike struggle to get to the value in their data. Their challenges include finding and gaining access to the data they need, “wrangling” the...
- The Power Behind the Throne: Information Integration in the Age of Data-Driven DiscoveryIntegrating data has always been a challenge. The information management community has made great progress in tackling this challenge, both on the theory and the practice. But in the...
James A Hendler – Troy, NY, United States
The Semantic Web
For more than a decade now, the Semantic Web community has been listening to one critic after another explain why the technology will not work. The good news is that we have now exceeded the...
James D Herbsleb – Pittsburgh, PA, United States
Coordination, or managing dependencies among tasks, has long been recognized as one of the most difficult, pervasive, and persistent problems in large-scale software development. A...
Seiji Isotani – Sao Carlos - SP, Brazil
Understanding Ontologies and Ontology Engineering
Computer science borrows the term ontology from a branch of philosophy (metaphysics) that studies the nature of “being” and “existence.” For philosophers, ontology aims at...
Uri Kartoun – Cambridge, MA, United States
Advancing Informatics with Electronic Medical Records Bots
Electronic medical records (EMRs) contain sensitive and detailed documentation on a variety of conditions at the individual level. Because EMRs are subject to confidentiality requirements,...
How to Develop Prediction Models Using Electronic Medical Records
Recent remarkable advancements in computer hardware and software and the growing accessibility of electronic medical records (EMRs) have accelerated research on predicting patient outcomes....
- How to Develop a Disease Classification Algorithm Using Electronic Medical RecordsA patient might be associated with a disease, but the disease may not be clearly documented in the patient’s medical profile. Often, a disease may be mentioned in the context of being...
- Why and How to Invent in the Era of SoftwareThroughout my employment in corporate environments (Microsoft, IBM), as well as in start-ups, I have had the opportunity to solely invent many items and apply for patents. My inventions...
Fernando Koch – NY, United States
Social Applications and Sensible Societies
In this lecture, we will entice the audience to think of mobile media technologies as a tool to address urban social issues. The explanation will explore the potential of mobile devices,...
Andy P Koronios – Adelaide, Australia
Mapping your Big Data Program
Interest in Big Data has now reached hype proportions. Everyone is talking about the four, five and even more ‘V’s of Big Data (Volume, Velocity, Variety, etc.) and an unhelpful...
Anis Koubaa – Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
The Internet-of-Drones: Integrating Drones into the Internet-of-Things and the Cloud
Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) - also known as Drones, are becoming increasingly popular. Although these have been around for already a few years, applications’ developers and...
Georgia Koutrika – Athens, Greece
Deep learning in recommender systems
Deep learning methods have dramatically improved the state-of-the-art in computer vision, speech recognition, natural language processing (NLP) and many other domains. Deep learning started to...
Modern recommender systems in action (I know what movie you will watch in Netflix)
Recommender systems provide advice on items that may be of interest to a user (e.g., movies, products, travel, and leisure activities) by learning user preferences and relationships between users...
Modern recommender systems: matrices, bandits, and neurons
The proliferation of digital content in a plurality of forms (including e-news, movies, and online courses), along with the popularity of portable devices has created immense opportunities as well...
Multi-armed bandits in recommender systems
Traditional recommender systems can provide meaningful recommendations at an individual level by leveraging users' interests as demonstrated by their past activity. However, in many web-based...
Ashish Kundu – Yorktown Heights, NY, United States
Baking Compliance into Cloud: Art or Science?
With the (obvious) evolution of cloud from being a compute-centric infrastructure to a data-and-compute-centric infrastructure, more and more enterprises are bringing their data to cloud in...
- HMACs for Graph DataGraphs are widely used in the representation and processing of data in several domains. Assurance of integrity of graph data is essential. Related work has shown that the digital signatures...
- Privacy-preserving Authentication of Graphs on CloudLeakages of structural information in trees and graphs due to (redactable) signatures lead to privacy and confidentiality breaches. So leakage-free redactable signatures are an important topic...
Masaaki Kurosu – Tokyo, Japan
A View of Usability and UX from the Viewpoint of User Engineering
Based on the classification of quality characteristics where two dimensions, objective quality vs. subjective quality and artifact quality vs. quality in use. the author differentiated...
Dongwon Lee – Fairfax, VA, United States
Human Computation in Data Science
As a novel computation paradigm, human computation (a.k.a. crowdsourcing) is being actively pursued in diverse academic disciplines. Within computer science, many sub-fields have also embraced the...
LIKEs-R-Us: Analyzing LIKEs in Social Media
The recent dramatic increase in the usage and prevalence of social media has led to the creation and sharing of a significant amount of information in various formats such as texts, photos, or...
Dirk Lewandowski – Hamburg, Germany
THE POWER OF SEARCH ENGINES
Search engines are the premier tools when it comes to finding information on the Internet. Newer technological developments show how search is changing from the query-results paradigm to...
Yung-Hsiang Lu – West Lafayette, IN, United States
Opportunities and Challenges in Global Network Cameras
Millions of network cameras have been deployed. Many of these cameras provide publicly available data, continuously streaming live views of national parks, city halls, streets, highways,...
Sanjay Kumar Madria – Rolla, MO, United States
M-Grid: A Scalable Distributed Framework for Multidimensional Indexing and Querying Spatial Data
The widespread use of mobile devices and the real time availability of user-location information both facilitating the development of new personalized, location-based applications and...
- Opportunistic Distributed Caching for Mission-oriented Delay-tolerant NetworksIn this talk, a new caching scheme has been proposed which takes into consideration mission-oriented applications of Delay-tolerant Networks (DTNs) such as in Military. In such applications data...
Jeanna N Matthews – Potsdam, NY, United States
Big Data? Big Promise, Big Problems
The data that we record daily about ourselves through our cell phones, credit card purchases, emails, social media postings, etc., helps us connect with each other and improve our life...
Animesh Mukherjee – Kharagpur, India
In-depth analysis of large-scale citation networks
In this talk I shall present an overview of our five years long research initiative in citation networks. The investigation is in the context of the computer science domain further sub-divided...
Language of social media: from hashtags to question topics.
In this talk I shall outline a summary of our four years long initiative studying the popularity dynamics of various human language-like entities over the social media. Some of the topics that I...
Sharath Pankanti – Yorktown Heights, NY, United States
Multi-media Compliance: A practical paradigm for managing business integrity
In virtually every business context there is a need to establish some form of monitoring system to ensure that employees comply with business processes and policies. Compliance failures range from...
Vishnu S Pendyala – San Jose, CA, United States
Approaches to Establishing the Veracity of Big Data
In spite of their anthropomorphic role, unlike human beings, technological inventions such as the Web do not have a conscience. Still, there is often more reliance on the big data emanating...
- Mining for Medical ExpertiseThere are huge masses of population in the world without access to sufficient healthcare. The World Health Organization (WHO) statistics show that disease and mortality rate greatly depend...
- Statistical Modeling for Detecting Cognitive Hacking on Microblog WebsitesCognitive hacking and fraud on Social Media have been so rampantly impactful that sometime back, the Founder, Chairman, and CEO of Facebook, Mark Zuckerberg testified to the US congress...
Shrisha Rao – Bangalore, India
Services Science and Services Computing
New models of computation such as cloud computing, Big Data, and the Internet of Things have fundamentally upended common assumptions about the nature and purposes of computation. One thing...
Abhishek Roy – San Francisco, United States
An in-depth Study on Smart Grids with special significance on South Korea
Smart Grid is an inevitable trend of power grid, and smart grid comprehensive assessment system can conduct a comprehensive assessment of the overall characteristics of smart grid, which can...
Demand Response in Smart Grid
Smart grids are conceived of as electric power grids, capable of delivering electricity in a controlled,smart way from energy generator to active consumers. Demand response (DR), by promoting the...
VISION OF IoT IN KOREA
After the World Wide Web in 1990s and the mobile internet in 2000s, we are gradually moving towards one of the potentially most distinct phase of internet revolution--The "Internet of Things...
Sherif Sakr – Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Big Data 2.0 Processing Engines
For a decade, the MapReduce framework, and its open source realization, Hadoop, has emerged as a highly successful framework that has created a lot of momentum such that it has become the defacto...
Large Scale Graph Processing Systems
Recently, people, devices, processes, and other entities have been more connected than at any other point in history. In general, a graph is a natural, neat, and flexible structure to model the...
Hanan Samet – College Park, MD, United States
Issues in Spatial Databases and Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
An introduction is given to the spatial database issues involved in the design of geographic information systems (GIS) from the perspective of a computer scientist. Some of the topics...
- Reading News with Maps by Exploiting Spatial SynonymsNewsStand is an example application of a general framework to enable people to search for information using a map query interface, where the information results from monitoring the output...
- Scalable Network Distance Browsing in Spatial Databases*
An algorithm is presented for finding the k nearest neighbors in a spatial network in a best-first manner using network distance. The algorithm is based on precomputing the shortest paths...
Jibonananda Sanyal – Oak Ridge, TN, United States
Accelerated Global Human Settlement Discovery
Understanding where people live is fundamental to understanding what people do and what their social needs are with respect to energy security; policy and urban development; resiliency;...
- Data and SensemakingHumans are generating data at an unprecedented scale and making sense of this data is increasingly a challenge. This talk weaves around experiences in deriving scientific knowledge from ensemble...
- Deriving insight at the intersection of the Energy-Water NexusEnergy and water generation and delivery systems are inherently interconnected. With demand for energy growing, the energy sector is experiencing increasing competition for water. ...
- Ensemble-Aware Uncertainty VisualizationUnderstanding uncertainty in scientific simulations is fundamental in gaining reliable insight into a scientific process. In simulation and modeling, ensembles approaches are recognized as...
Robert P. Schumaker – New Britain, CT, United States
Becoming a Data Scientist
This talk is aimed for those interested in the field of data science. What does it mean to be a data scientist? What roles, knowledge or skills are expected? The talk answers...
Lessons from the Future: Predictions in Finance, Sports and Medicine
This data science centered talk focuses on three areas of using predictive analytics: Finance, Sports and Medicine. The talk begins with a description of data science and its...
- Prediction from Regional Angst - A Study of NFL Sentiment in Twitter Using Stock Market Charting
A three-game losing streak and Chicago Bears fans are hopeful, whereas a two-game winning streak and Oakland Raiders fans are expecting the worst. Two different fan-bases...
Biplav Srivastava – Yorktown Heights, NY, United States
Putting Water Quality Data to Productive Use by Integrating Historical and Real-time Sensing Data
Water is unique in its role as a life preserver. It is important to all members of a society. However, if one is looking for quality data to make data-driven decisions, one is lost. This is...
Shan Suthaharan – Greensboro, NC, United States
Software engineering schema for data science and big data
This talk will present a newly created software development framework called SETh - it stands for software engineering theoretical framework. It comprises six visual models - TBoSE, TCoSE, TDoSE,...
Ranjith Tharayil – Bangalore, India
Change Vector Tracking in emergent design
Software design is a field that has always fascinated me and I have tried to be an obedient student trying to learn this art. Like any other design problem, software design is also a wicked...
- The craft of business driven designEven if we could produce completely bug-free software, that does not necessarily mean that the software design is of great quality, and if the software design does not reflect your business...
- When and How to embrace Behaviour Driven Development?Behaviour Driven Development (BDD) is a collaborative and disciplined technique to help us build the right product. In the last decade BDD has had her own bit of glory and criticism. Many...
André Tricot – Toulouse, France
The upward and downward links between credibility, trust and authority
The Internet and its main tools (Google, Wikipedia, Facebook, Tweeter) deeply raise and renew fundamental questions, that everyone asks almost everyday: Is this information or content true? Can I...
Paolo Trunfio – Rende, Italy
Using Scalable Data Mining for Predicting Flight Delays
Flight delays are frequent all over the world (about 20% of airline flights arrive more than 15 minutes late) and they are estimated to have an annual cost of several tens of billion dollars. This...
Using Social Media Analysis to Discover Mobility Patterns in Public Events
The widespread use of social media platforms such as Twitter and Instagram allows scientists to collect huge amount of data posted by people interested in a given topic or attending a popular...
Ellen M Voorhees – Gaithersburg, MD, United States
Information Retrieval Challenge Problems
The Text REtrieval Conference (TREC) is a series of workshops designed to advance the state-of-the-art in information retrieval by providing the infrastructure necessary for large-scale...
Measuring Search Effectiveness
In contrast to most areas of computer science research, information retrieval research has a rich tradition of experimentation dating back to the 1960s. This experimental methodology...
- The Text REtrieval ConferenceThe Text REtrieval Conference (TREC) project at the National Institute of Standards and Technology has created standard test sets and evaluation methodology to support the development of...
Ingmar G Weber – Doha, Qatar
Introduction to Computational Social Science
Due to the increasing availability of large-scale data on human behavior collected on the social web, as well as advances in analyzing larger and larger data sets, interest in applying...
Tao Xie – Raleigh, IL, United States
Improving Software Reliability via Mining Software Engineering Data
Since late 90’s, various data mining techniques have been applied to analyze software engineering data, and have achieved many noticeable successes in improving software reliability....
Software Analytics: Data Analytics for Software Engineering
A huge wealth of various data exists in software life cycle, including source code, feature specifications, bug reports, test cases, execution traces/logs, and real-world user feedback, etc. Data...
Demetrios Zeinalipour-Yazti – Nicosia, Cyprus
"Telco Big Data: Current State & Future Directions"
A Telecommunication company (Telco) is traditionally only perceived as the entity that provides telecommunication services, such as telephony and data communication access to users. However, the...
Internet-based Indoor Navigation Services
This talk presents the fundamental mobile data management concepts behind the realization of innovative indoor information services that deal with all aspects of handling indoor data as a...
Ping Zhang – Yorktown Heights, NY, United States
Predictive Modeling of Drug Effects: Learning from Biomedical Knowledge and Clinical Records
Drug discovery is a time-consuming and laborious process. Lack of efficacy and safety issues are the two major reasons for which a drug fails clinical trials, each accounting for around 30% of...
- Predictive Modeling of Drug Effects: Learning from Biomedical Knowledge and Clinical Records
- Improving Software Reliability via Mining Software Engineering Data
- The Text REtrieval Conference
- The craft of business driven design
- Software engineering schema for data science and big data
- Prediction from Regional Angst - A Study of NFL Sentiment in Twitter Using Stock Market Charting
- Data and Sensemaking
- Reading News with Maps by Exploiting Spatial Synonyms
- An in-depth Study on Smart Grids with special significance on South Korea
- Mining for Medical Expertise
- In-depth analysis of large-scale citation networks
- Opportunistic Distributed Caching for Mission-oriented Delay-tolerant Networks
- M-Grid: A Scalable Distributed Framework for Multidimensional Indexing and Querying Spatial Data
- Opportunities and Challenges in Global Network Cameras
- Human Computation in Data Science
- HMACs for Graph Data
- Deep learning in recommender systems
- Mapping your Big Data Program
- How to Develop a Disease Classification Algorithm Using Electronic Medical Records
- Understanding Ontologies and Ontology Engineering
- The Power Behind the Throne: Information Integration in the Age of Data-Driven Discovery
- The Evolution of Artificial Intelligence
- Real-Time Data Mining
- The Power of Big Data
- Knowledge Graphs for Entity-centric Information Access
- Detect Needle in a Haystack: Advanced Anomaly Detection mechanisms from execution logs
- Cognitive Technology Support
- Mastering Digitalization - Towards the Data-driven Enterprise