Society and the Computing Profession
Available Speakers on this Topic
Haider Abbas – Islamabad, Pakistan
Editor's Perspective of Publishing Quality Research
Academic research publication in a journal plays a key role in knowledge dissemination and the career development of researchers. However, despite its importance, very minimal or negligible formal...
Emery D Berger – Amherst, MA, United States
How to Have Impact: Five Easy Pieces
Because my research group has had a pretty good record of getting the fruits of our research adopted “in the real world”, I often get asked how to get work adopted. In this...
Athman Bouguettaya – Sydney, NSW, Australia
Workshop on Writing for (top) Computer Science Journals
This workshop aims to train early career researchers and PhD students to write for top CS journals and convert conference papers into successful quality journal articles. Writing for journals...
Dan Garcia – Millbrae, CA, United States
Achieving CSforALL through the Beauty and Joy of Computing (BJC)
At a time when computing is so much a part of all of our lives, has incredible job opportunities, and is so empowering, most students graduate high school without having had any introduction to...
Beauty and Joy of Computing 1-week Professional Development
The Beauty and Joy of Computing (BJC) is a CS Principles (CSP) course developed at UC Berkeley, intended for high school juniors through university non-majors. It was twice chosen as...
- Effective Teaching, Mentoring and Curriculum Development(This talk is aimed at early-stage faculty, especially those from under-served groups)There are many hats young faculty are asked to wear, yet most "how to be a...
- Why Latino Students Need Computer Science NowWe all know that technology is profoundly changing the way we work, learn, communicate, and play. More significant is what this means for your students' futures and their ability to compete in...
Ganesh Lalitha Gopalakrishnan – Salt Lake City, UT, United States
Automata and Computability using Jupyter and Formal Methods
Automata and computability form central theoretical pillars of computer science, and as such are included in almost all undergraduate curricula. In the study of these topics, it is...
Donald Gotterbarn – Johnson City, TN, United States
Being a Computer Professional: Technology in context
Understanding computing professionalism helps us manage the ethical and social outcomes of our technical decisions. This talk focus on recognizing and avoiding some of the traps of...
- Unmanaged Risk: Why Systems Don't WorkSerious software failures plague our profession. Software testing and risk analysis can only impact certain factors to reduce software failures. Proactive methodologies and strategies that...
- What to do about Ethics: Using the ACM Code of Ethics in Decision Making for the Computing Professional (non-philosopher)Decisions made by a computing professionals impact others. A goal of computing professionals is to minimize the negative impact of their decisions on all stakeholders. The ACM Code of Ethics helps...
Gernot Heiser – Sydney, NSW, Australia
How to Write a Great Paper
Publication in prestigious venues is key to academic impact, and in computer science this mostly means the top-tier conferences. These venues receive large number of submissions, resulting...
Sheldon H Jacobson – Urbana, IL, United States
Communicating Your Research to the Public: Things They Never Taught you School
Communicating scientific research to a broad audience has become aprerequisite for success in today’s academic environment. This presentation discusses numerous facets of academic...
Is Computational Redistricting and Algorithms the Solution to Gerrymandering?
Every 10 Years, the outcome of the United States Census leads to a reallocation of congressional seats, typically requiring state legislatures to redesign their congressional districts. This...
Jim Jansen – Doha, Qatar
The Perilous Journey of Journal Publishing
Publishing a research article is a journey! We will discuss challenges and advice on preparing, submitting, and revising research manuscripts to increase the probability of acceptance at a...
Living in an Automated City: Promises and Perils
What if (almost) every aspect of a city is automated, from transportation, waste management, maintenance, policing to urban gardening? Developments in AI and the Internet of Things technologies...
Sanjay Misra – Lagos, Nigeria
How to enter into THE World University rankings with fewer resources in developing nations
In the last few years, several universities from developing countries(specially from Africa)entered in Times Higher education. This presentation explains in detail each...
How to present your work for publishing in high impact computing Journals
Publications in top tire computing journals from authors from developing countries are very limited. One can also observe that excellent research outcomes are being published in...
San Murugesan – Sydney, NSW, Australia
Green IT and Sustainability: Addressing the Global Environmental Crisis Embracing Technology
The socio-economic developments around the world and peoples’ behavioural changes continue to contribute to increase in carbon-dioxide emission and environmental deterioration,...
- The Golden Age of Digital Innovation and Disruption: How to Become an Innovator and Create Lasting ImpactWe’re fortunate to be living in the age of ongoing digital innovations and disruption. Driven by advances in digital and other technologies, open and creative mindset, emergence of...
Kayal Padmanandam – Hyderabad, India
Convergence of Data Intelligence
Data is considered as the fuel of this era. The explosion of data has revolutionized almost every sector of today’s globe to rethink their business model. Intelligent Data...
- Disruptive InnovationsAbstractIt is a powerful way of thinking about innovation-driven growth that eventually disrupts an existing market....
- Ethical Research using Reference Management SystemResearch ethics talks about the guidelines for the responsible conduct of research. Reference management System is one of the modules of Research Ethics where researchers can organize the...
Junaid Qadir – Doha, Qatar
Engineering and Computing Education for the 21st Century
We live arguably in the most exciting period in human history for engineering in which advances in knowledge and abilities to process, communicate, and analyze large amounts of data has resulted...
How to Write A Paper That Readers Will Thank You For?Tips on Bringing Clarity to Writing
The ability to write clear prose to communicate ideas is an essential 21st century skill. Washington accord, the international accreditation agreement for undergraduate professional engineering...
Learning 101: What All Computing and Engineering Should Know About Learning
As we move into the third decade of the 21st century, the 2020s, the unprecedented rate of technological disruption and the short-lived nature of the specifics of engineering...
- The Ethics of Artificial IntelligenceAI technology has revolutionized numerous disciplines but it also has significant use of abuse (e.g., deep fakes, social bots, profiling people, social discrimination). We have realized that...
Peter Robinson – Cambridge, United Kingdom
Of machines and men
Continuing improvements in computer technology are allowing machines to perform in ways that model human activity, to the extent that many people now treat machines as if they were...
Ashish Seth – Tashkent, Uzbekistan
Effect of COVID19 on Educational Sector
Pandemic has badly affected many sectors including Academics. According to UNESCO pandemic has adversely impact over 290 million students across 22 countries. The UNESCO estimates that...
- Research Benchmarking: Tools to evaluate research journal and author IndexThere is a growing demand for transparency and accountability in research evaluation, research agencies developed a comprehensive list of evaluation tools and techniques and explained when...
Carol J Smith – Pittsburgh, PA, United States
Implementing Ethics in Emerging Technologies
Ethics discussions abound, but translating “do no harm” into our work is frustrating at best, and obfuscatory at worst. We can agree that keeping humans safe and in control is...
Tariq Zaman – Sibu,, Malaysia
Using Sketches to Communicate Interaction Protocols of an Indigenous Community
Reviews of research and development collaborations with indigenous communities have exhibited numerous challenges related to researcher–community interactions. Based on many accounts of...
- Using Sketches to Communicate Interaction Protocols of an Indigenous Community
- Research Benchmarking: Tools to evaluate research journal and author Index
- Effect of COVID19 on Educational Sector
- The Ethics of Artificial Intelligence
- Disruptive Innovations
- The Golden Age of Digital Innovation and Disruption: How to Become an Innovator and Create Lasting Impact
- Green IT and Sustainability: Addressing the Global Environmental Crisis Embracing Technology
- Communicating Your Research to the Public: Things They Never Taught you School
- Unmanaged Risk: Why Systems Don't Work
- Being a Computer Professional: Technology in context
- Effective Teaching, Mentoring and Curriculum Development
- Workshop on Writing for (top) Computer Science Journals