Society and the Computing Profession
Available Speakers on this Topic
Michel Beaudouin-Lafon – Orsay Cedex, France
Research metrics: the good, the bad and the ugly of bibliometrics and University rankings
Over the past decade, research metrics have become an important part of the discourse on research, from hiring committees to government policy. Researchers display their h-index on their web...
Athman Bouguettaya – Sydney, NSW, Australia
Workshop on Writing for (top) Computer Science Journals
This workshop aims to train early career researchers and PhD students to write for top CS journals and convert conference papers into successful quality journal articles. Writing for journals...
Geraldine Fitzpatrick – Vienna, Austria
Changing Academic Life: sharing experiences and strategies
It doesn’t matter with whom you talk or what country or institution they come from, almost every academic will say that the nature of academic work is changing significantly and that the...
Dan Garcia – Millbrae, CA, United States
Achieving CSforALL through the Beauty and Joy of Computing (BJC)
At a time when computing is so much a part of all of our lives, has incredible job opportunities, and is so empowering, most students graduate high school without having had any introduction to...
Beauty and Joy of Computing 1-week Professional Development
The Beauty and Joy of Computing (BJC) is a CS Principles (CSP) course developed at UC Berkeley, intended for high school juniors through university non-majors. It was twice chosen as...
- Effective Teaching, Mentoring and Curriculum Development(This talk is aimed at early-stage faculty, especially those from under-served groups)There are many hats young faculty are asked to wear, yet most "how to be a...
- Why Latino Students Need Computer Science NowWe all know that technology is profoundly changing the way we work, learn, communicate, and play. More significant is what this means for your students' futures and their ability to compete in...
Silvia Giordano – MANNO ,TI, Switzerland
The role of Applied Studies
The applied research is more close to real world than basic research, and for this reason is closer to industry. But, it is also fun and as challenging as basic research. How applied research can...
Ganesh Lalitha Gopalakrishnan – Salt Lake City, UT, United States
Automata and Computability using Jupyter and Formal Methods
Automata and computability form central theoretical pillars of computer science, and as such are included in almost all undergraduate curricula. In the study of these topics, it is...
Michael Gschwind – Yorktown Heights, NY, United States
Technology Futures - The IBM Technology Forecast
Join me for a look at IBM's vision for the near term future, or as IBM terms it, IBM's Global Technology Outlook (GTO). IBM Research and its global community of some of the...
Laura M Haas – San Jose, CA, United States
Impact! Great Research, Great Scientists, Great Careers
I have worked with researchers in both industry and academia over the course of my career, and helped many to grow their influence and stature. This talk is a compilation of the best...
Letizia Jaccheri – Trondheim, Norway
From Software through Art to Social Entrepreneurship
The main goal of my research through 30 years is to understand software by empirical studies. While researchers traditionally use students as subjects to pilot studies before they are...
Min-Yen Kan – Singapore, Singapore
Technology vs Learner Engagement: Always a Trade Off?
Does have more learners necessarily mean less engagement? Hear the perspectives of experts from research and practice on what technologies can be used to up your engagement with learners and...
David J Kasik – Sammamish, WA, United States
Lessons Learned: Technology Transition
New research occurs internationally and at a breathtaking rate. Publications and presentations routinely feature novel concepts that could be highly beneficial. Even so, putting the...
Varun G Menon – Kochi, Kerala, India
Essential Researcher Identifiers and Benefits of Reviewing Manuscripts for Quality Journals
This lecture introduces some key identifiers-ORCID ID, Researcher ID, Scopus ID, Publons profile and Google Scholar, which are essential in distinguishing a researcher and getting credit...
- Securing Your Research Paper from Getting HijackedA hijacked journal is a legitimate academic journal for which a fake website has been created by a malicious third party for the purpose of fraudulently offering academicians the...
Shrisha Rao – Bangalore, India
Safety Issues in Cyber-Physical Systems
Computers and software components are now integral to large complex systems in almost all sectors of modern society. The safety of such systems is therefore dependent upon many...
Peter Robinson – Cambridge, United Kingdom
Of machines and men
Continuing improvements in computer technology are allowing machines to perform in ways that model human activity, to the extent that many people now treat machines as if they were...
Andrzej Rucinski – Strafford, NH, United States
OPPORTUNITY OF INTERNET OF THINGS SEMINAR
Internet of Things (IoT) is an expanding space for researchers, students, and professionals. Development of IoT applications is hindered by the lack of available design tools,...
Jibonananda Sanyal – Oak Ridge, TN, United States
Location driven computing for real-time situational awareness and humanitarian response
The world of location enabled big-data has heralded a fundamental shift in how we interact with our surroundings. A large number of our day-to-day activities are being driven by knowledge...
Seth Shostak – Mountain View, CA, United States
The Challenges of Artificial Intelligence Boundless Benefits or the Threat of Runaway Machine Sentience?
Of the several transformative developments we can expect in the 21st century, none has more promise – or generates more concern – than the invention of generalized, artificial...
Developing Employability Skills using ICT Tools
Employability skill has become buzzword all across the world. The set of skills that empower...
- ICT Enabled Agriculture for Sustainable Rural EconomyDevelopment of nation depends on agriculture in many countries of the world and the economy or GDP of the country therefore depends on agriculture productivity. Sustainable development of a...
- Mapping Learning Outcomes with Learning Objectives to Achieve Real Impact of Outcome based Education (OBE)In present scenario, in all educational institutes especially higher education organizations and universities, OBE (outcome based education) is much talked about. Student learning outcomes...
Biplav Srivastava – Yorktown Heights, NY, United States
Joys and Challenges of On Demand Research in Industry
Industrial labs provide an alternative career option to research minded graduates in addition to academia. The opportunities to bring one's innovations to practical products are immense...
Sundar Vedantham – Allentown, PA, United States
Ethics and Emerging Technology
Technology has always been looked at as a panacea for a lot of problems in the world. There is no doubt that it has improved human lives over the centuries. While luddites averse to any type of...
- Ethics and Emerging Technology
- ICT Enabled Agriculture for Sustainable Rural Economy
- The Challenges of Artificial Intelligence Boundless Benefits or the Threat of Runaway Machine Sentience?
- Location driven computing for real-time situational awareness and humanitarian response
- OPPORTUNITY OF INTERNET OF THINGS SEMINAR
- Of machines and men
- Securing Your Research Paper from Getting Hijacked
- Technology vs Learner Engagement: Always a Trade Off?
- Technology Futures - The IBM Technology Forecast
- Effective Teaching, Mentoring and Curriculum Development